World Compassion Terry Law Ministries' Focus in Iraq…
Today in Iraq, we’re supporting and equipping church planters from Kurdish churches throughout the northern part of the country (World Compassion Terry Law Ministries had the opportunity of being a part of the Kurdzman church plant in 2003) as well as two evangelism teams who are passionately focused on reaching out to Muslims in their communities. Since 2006, they’ve helped us share the Gospel with over 31,504 children and their families through our Shoes That Save program with plans to reach thousands more in the coming months. With this program, each child receives a new pair of shoes along with a family Bible and several copies of The Story of Jesus booklet.
- Middle East, bordering the Persian Gulf, between Iran and Kuwait.
- Pop. 28,221,180. 40% of the population is below the age of 14!
- Ethnic groups: Arab 75%-80%, Kurdish 15%-20%, Turkoman, Assyrian, or other 5%
- Iraq's economy is dominated by the oil industry. Although looting, insurgent attacks, and sabotage have undermined economy rebuilding efforts, economic activity is beginning to pick up in areas secured by the US military.
- Arabic, Kurdish (official in Kurdish regions), Turkoman (a Turkish dialect), Assyrian (Neo-Aramaic), Armenian
- Muslim 97% (Shia 60%-65%, Sunni 32%-37%), Christian or other 3%
- Following Iraq’s non-compliance of UN resolutions after the Gulf War, the US and Coalition forces invaded Iraq and helped transition the new regime to Iraq's first constitutional government in nearly a half-century.